Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wow! Is it really December 22nd already? Where has this year gone???

So here's how my day went. I woke up at 7, had a fight with the "snooze" button for about an hour. When I finally woke up, after clearing my nose from a whole-heck-of-a-lot of snot, I took a super fast shower, got Shorty up and hurried out the door for my Doctor appointment. Realizing I forgot to bring breakfast with us and hearing the "friendly" reminder from Shorty himself, we made a quick stop at Starbucks. I got me a bottle of water, a venti peppermint hot chocolate and a bacon gouda sandwich with no bacon. Shorty got the same, but in smaller portions.

I got to the doctor. First thing she did was weigh me in. This doctor, and her friendly staff, knows how hard I've been trying to find SOMETHING to help me lose weight despite my PCOS and whatever. They've seen my weight go up and up... they've actually been a part of many of my exercise sessions so they know how hard I have worked. Anyway, they were all so excited to see my weight has gone down on the scale for once! It was a great feeling. My weight loss isn't huge just yet but the fact remains that the numbers are going DOWN instead of up. I felt very proud to have them all recognize that!

Turns out I have some sort of an infection. She suspects pneumonia but since I'm totally paranoid about x-rays (radiation exposure), she put me on an antibiotic. I am gonna try this for a couple days and if I'm not getting any better, than I'll just suck it up and get an x-ray. The reason for my paranoia? Well my mom recently battled breast cancer and I've been told I'm now at high risk for it. I may end up doing the genetic testing to see if I do have the genes for it. But until then, I'm doing everything I can to improve my lifestyle and limit my exposure to radiation.

So anyway, I went to pick up my prescription and the Pharmacist goes "I hope you enjoy the taste of metal. That's all you'll be tasting for the next 10 days." What? Yay me! haha. Apparently this medication is going to leave a metal taste in my mouth. I took my first pill 2 hours ago and (knock on wood!!) no metal taste so far! I totally plan to defy her predicition!

Then Shorty and I ran a few errands and ended up at my Mom's office. We waited until she was ready and then walked a mile to lunch. I told her I wasn't feeling too good today and wasn't hungry. She, being the MOM, insisted I eat something. So I had a half of a salad. I got some black beans on the otherwise lettuce-and-cabbage salad for some protein. I can honestly say I didn't taste a single bite of that salad. All I tasted was MUCUS! Ick! Then we walked the mile back to Mom's office and hung out there for a bit.

Shorty and I went home for a nap. We ended up sleeping almost 3 hours. I'm trying to get rid of my cold and I think he's just now developing it. We both needed the sleep for sure! We woke up, had a totally lazy evening of watching tv on the couch in our jammies.

Side note: Nothing from the jerk upstairs. Thank GOD! I was expecting total hell from him last night, as he promised, but it appears the little wifey was able to calm him down!!!

Anyway, I've had plenty of water to drink today. And about 40 ounces of watered down hot chocolate (only 2 packets worth, 80 calories each). Breakfast was the meatless sandwich @ Starbucks with the peppermint hot chocolate (watered down). Lunch was a half a salad with black beans. Dinner was some leftover enchilada thing my mom made. I haven't grocery shopped in 2 weeks so it's about all I could find. Again, couldn't taste anything but I know it was about 350 calories as my mom pre-measured it for me and already counted everything in it.

I'm falling asleep while typing this so I'm gonna head to bed. I haven't been getting much sleep at night. Worrying too much, I think. But I know adequate sleep is essential for weight loss and overall health so I'm trying to be more conscious of it. But oh my gosh, I swear I look at the clock at around 7 pm and think Ok, I'm just gonna update my blog, check email and scope out Facebook real quick. Then, before I know it, I'm reading my Bible and see the clock saying 11:59 pm. Geesh! Suggestions?????


  1. First let me say... I refuse to believe that Christmas is, like, TWO days away. WHERE DID DECEMBER GO?

    So glad to hear that your doctors are supportive and encouraging. Nothing better than having a group of medical pros be in your corner during the struggle to lose weight (damn, it's difficult!).

    I really do hope you feel better soon. Hopefully the meds will help, and you'll get better for Christmas with my favorite kiddo! :)

  2. hope you're feeling better soon! Take care of yourself.

  3. Strong antibiotics can give you a metallic taste in your mouth ... something like if you put a 9V battery to your tongue ... except without the electric jolt. (Ever do that? I used to do it all the time as a kid!) It usually comes on about day 3 of taking the pills. So not tasty and it makes everything you eat taste like metal. Yucky-poo!

    My mom swears by her lemongrass and star anise tea to cure even the swine flu. I don't know if it's a *cure* but it does make you feel a whole lot better.

    Hope you feel better soon.