Friday, February 4, 2011

The Big Bad Doctor Visit :-O

I just got home from the Doctor. I went because of my cold... my lungs were feeling so tight, it was hard to breathe. So she gave me a breathing treatment with Albuteral and oh my gosh! I started feeling better... like, I could breathe again... but it made me super jittery. My hands were shaking and my legs felt like jell-o. Plus, it instantly upset my tummy. I had to rush home to get to the bathroom. ICK!

Backing up a bit, the idiot M.A. came in and asked me the typical questions before seeing a Doctor. "Do you have high blood pressure? Cholesterol issues? Allergies to medications?" etc. She asked what medications I was on and I told her Metformin, 1000 mg, two times a day. She then asked me which finger I wanted her to prick. My response was "uhhhhhhh...... why???" She goes "oh, you're diabetic, right? Yunno, since you're on Metformin."

"No, I'm not diabetic. That's for my PCOS". And then.... she says....

"Oooooh, I didn't know you could take Metformin for PCOS." Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!!?!?! That was totally reassuring.... NOT!!!

Anyway, so the Doctor came in and she was awesome! I think I may have finally found a Doctor (well, nurse practitioner, actually!) that I actually like. She thoroughly examined me. She asked me a lot of related questions. And vuah-lah... I got a breathing treatment, medication and some good ol' mucinex to help! She asked if I had anything else I wanted to talk about.

Actually, as a matter of fact... I DO!  I talked to her about my weight, my PCOS, and my plantar fasciitis/heel spurs. Regarding my weight, she is having me do a full blood workup and EKG first but then, if all is OK, she'd like to put me on a prescription weight loss pill. I think she said it's Phentermine or something like that.  

Have any of you gone on prescription weight loss pills? Any pros and/or cons to share? I never even knew there were prescription weight loss pills.

I'm not too sure how I feel about weight loss pills. I believe in good ol' fashioned hard work. But then again, look at where it's gotten me. I mean, obviously I haven't given 100% of myself 100% of the time... but maybe the pills might help get a small chunk of me gone and then I can just do hard work.

After the weight talk, we talked about my feet. She ordered x-rays for me. This time I will actually go! She is also going to try getting physical therapy covered by my insurance so I can work through some of this pain. Please, God, oh PLEASE let it be covered!!!!

And then, the whopper of all whoppers.... at the very end, after my breathing treatment, little miss "I don't know what I'm talking about" M.A. came in and said "I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but the Doctor wants me to check your blood sugar level so I'm gonna have to prick your finger." I was like "really? Do we have to? I just ate. Will that make a difference? I don't like needles... please not my finger. Can't we do it on my arm? I'll come back and do it later." I tried so hard to get out of it. She just kept rolling her eyes at me.

I have done medical assisting school and have taken dozens of needles to several different parts of my body by some really inexperienced people. I'm so used to needles... they don't bother me much anymore. Yet, somehow the idea of a needle on my finger scared me. But honestly, I think it was more the idea about "diabetes" and "blood sugar" stuff that freaked me out. So anyway...

PRICK....

It was over quickly! It stung but it wasn't that bad. She said my blood sugar was 97. I have no idea if that is good or not but from what I was able to find, thanks to my good pal GOOGLE, that is a normal number. Right? Anyway, she said I am definitely not diabetic... THANK YOU JESUS!!!! However, it really got me thinking, I do not wanna be diabetic... ever! I never want to have to prick my finger or give myself shots. Especially not every day. I have to get healthy. I refuse to eat myself into an early grave. Oh my gosh, y'all. I am definitely scared now! That is so not the life I want to live. NO WAY!

3 comments:

  1. Kat.. so glad you got the breathing treatment. And that you found a doc that you like!

    Your blood sugar number is good.. especially if you just ate. :) You're right.. diabetes sucks! I am not insulin dependent, but had to be on insulin during my pregnancy. I had to give myself shots 4 times a day, and test my sugars up to 7-8 times a day. I NEVER want to have to do the injections again if at all possible. I still hate pricking my finger.. and don't do it near as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I went to a doctor who had a weightloss regimine that was a cocktail of phentermine and xanax. I took them and lost weight for the 2 months I was on them and my sister also went and got them. I noticed a racing heartbeat, and jittery feelings as did my sister. Prescription pills are scary because years from now you could experience problems that were caused by taking the pills now. Ephedra was one case and point where people had heart problems as a result of long term use.

    Exercise and a healthy diet are the proven weightloss tools and they need to become a part of your every day life, but weightloss the right way is slow and it takes time to take off the weight. The diet pills are a decision you will have to make my weighing the pros and cons.

    One thing a lot of people say, like you said, is that they'll use the pills to get a jump start but the majority of those that take diet pills gain the weight back and end up back on them again. I'd do some research before making a decision.

    So glad you are feeling better and that your blood test came back negative for diabetes! That's a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried some weightloss pills from the doctor once. They were supposed to stop you from absorbing the fat that you ate, and they were awful. Because you weren't absorbing the fat that you were eating it had to come out elsewhere... I'm sure you can imagine. I stopped taking them. On the other hand though, my mum got some and they were different and worked really well for her! She lost about 30lbs with them.

    ReplyDelete